Summer has arrived, and the season’s longer days give us all a little more time to spend with our friends and family. If sharing a meal is one of your favorite ways to connect, you might be looking for drink recipes that can stand up to the heat.
To help us offer some gut friendly options our partner, The Fairy Gutmother, provided us with three summer ready drinks that are the perfect blend of ingredients your gut will love and flavors that will have you asking for a refill (or two). Armed with her Bone Broth Bloody Mary, Blended Berry Kombucha, and Coconut Lime Kefir Cooler recipe, you’ll have a drink that’s sure to please even the pickiest of guests.
While the recipes are nonalcoholic, we can attest to their ability to stay balanced with the addition of your favorite spirit. But we would be amiss if we did not follow that statement with a reminder to enjoy your cocktails responsibly.
What We Love About The Bone Broth Bloody Mary
Besides being a fresh take on a classic, this Bloody Mary combines the benefits of bone broth with the spice and zing of kimchi, to help populate the gut with beneficial bacteria.
Blended Berry Kombucha, Tell Us More!
Four words… It tastes like sorbet. And, as if being reminiscent of one of our favorite frozen treats wasn’t enough, this drink’s utilization of kombucha (fermented tea), means there’s a solid dose of bacteria your gut will love. And, if you want to kick it up a notch, you can add in collagen powder for extra gut healing benefits.
What’s So Cool About The Coconut Lime Kefir Cooler?
Dehydration is one of the most common nutritional deficiencies, especially during the summer! Hydration not only depends on how much water you drink, but also your body's ability to maintain hydration. Packed with electrolytes, kefir, and colostrum, this refreshing concoction will support your gut from multiple angles. And, if you want the creaminess that the colostrum provides but can’t do dairy, try adding a scoop of coconut yogurt and mixing well for another dose of good bacteria with that decadence.
Bone Broth Bloody Mary
- 1 C fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ C tomato juice
- 1 C chicken bone broth
- 2 TBS coconut aminos
- 2 TBS Kimchi juice
- 1 ½ tsp Horseradish
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1/3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp siracha
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 2-3 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS paprika
- 4-6TBS Raw, Local Honey
- Option for pickled ginger, celery stick, pickles, and/or black/green olives
- To make combine all ingredients to blender (not including alcohol) and blend on low until well mixed.
- In the meantime, combine chili powder and paprika and place on a flat plate. Pour honey on separate plate and dip glass into honey, coating the rim completely. Next, dip glass into spice mixture to evenly coat the rim.
- Pour Bloody Mary mixture into glass and add alcohol.
- Serve garnished with a stick of fresh celery, pickles, and/or olives on a cocktail pick.
Our choice for spirit: We love supporting local distilleries and love the addition of Winter Park Distilling Company’s crisp Genius Vodka to cut some of the heat of the kimchi without taking away from the earthiness of the bone broth.
Blended Berry Kombucha
- 1 16oz Synergy Gingerberry Kombucha (or any kombucha of choice)
- 1 1/2C frozen berries
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend on high until smooth. Enjoy!
Our choice for spirit: The room was divided on this on but we found ourselves leaning towards another Florida spirit with St. Augustine Distillery’s New World Gin. We thought the juniper, citrus, and slight spice was exactly what the berries and kombucha needed to shine.
Coconut Lime Kefir Cooler
- Coconut Water Kefir (See ingredients Below)
- 1 Scoop Colostrum
- Electrolyte Concentrate
- Lemon or Lime
- 1 Package Kefir Starter
- 1 Quart Coconut Water
- Start by making your coconut water kefir according to the directions on the starter package.
- Once your kefir is ready, pour 1/2C kefir into your glass.
- Add one scoop of colostrum.
- Add 2TBS of Electrolyte Concentrate.
- Mix well.
- Serve with a slice or two of fresh lime. I like to give it a bit of a squeeze before dropping it in the glass.
Our choice for spirit: We felt like this drink was begging for a tropical treatment and loved the subtle sweetness that Florida favorite, Wicked Dolphin Distillery’s Gold Rum brought to this drink.
Carley is a Certified Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (NTP) and Certified Gut & Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Practitioner (CGP) as well as a 200-hour Registered Yoga Instructor (RYT). Her health and nutrition journey began when she was diagnosed with Lyme Disease. After struggling with the negative effects of the disease and long-term antibiotic use, she sought out more answers to reclaim her health. A firm believer in the words of Hippocrates that ‘All disease begins in the gut,’ Carley is on a mission to share her story and help others become proactive about their health.