This flavor-packed strawberry salad is a perfect lunch, side or even a main meal! It combines good-for-you spinach with colorful strawberries, avocado, goat cheese, and toasted almonds, drizzled with a homemade strawberry apple-cider vinaigrette.
It’s a perfect lunch or side with grilled chicken, salmon or even steak. Or, add cooked quinoa or couscous for a light vegetarian meal. Whatever you decide, the end result is a nutritional delight that’s a feast for the eyes as well as the body.
Why we love these ingredients
Strawberries contain vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants that support your immune health, ease inflammation, and protect your cells. They’re also a low glycemic fruit, which makes them a tasty choice for supporting healthy blood sugar levels.
Apple cider vinegar contains antimicrobial and antioxidant compounds that support overall immunity. Research shows it can help reduce blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol, and protect your heart. Another study claimed that apple cider vinegar twice a day helped people following a reduced-calorie diet lose a few extra pounds.
Spinach is a superstar among green leafy vegetables. It includes antioxidant compounds that protect your cells from damage and promote metabolic health. It also includes calcium, manganese, and vitamin K, which are important for healthy bones – plus vitamin E and magnesium to support healthy immune function.
Spinach is rich in dietary fiber and electrolytes which promote regularity and enzyme production. So it’s a digestive superstar, too.
Avocados are packed with such essential vitamins as C, E, K and B6 as well as high levels of ‘good’ fats, which can help you feel fuller after a meal. Like spinach, avocados contain lots of gut-friendly fiber. Just one avocado provides nearly half of the fiber you need for the day.
Some pro tips to get you started
This recipe calls for paper-thin onion slices, so here’s a great hack for slicing those onions: use a vegetable peeler! Simply remove the outer skin and peel away. You’ll get perfect, evenly-sliced onions with few tears, because it goes so quickly.
If you’re sensitive to a strong onion flavor, simply soak the slices in cold water for about 5 minutes, then dry and add to your salad.
You can use the almonds raw, but toasted almonds add a gourmet touch [and they’re so easy!] Just keep your eye on the pan as you toast them because they burn very quickly.
The best avocado for this recipe is one with the tiniest bit of squeeze. A too-ripe avocado will be difficult to cut.
And while we use strawberry jam in our vinaigrette, any fruit jam will do. You can switch it up with raspberry, strawberry, or something else. Whatever you choose will also be delicious. Now let’s eat!
Summer Avocado Strawberry Spinach Salad
The best ever strawberry salad recipe that's sweet, tangy, crunchy, and the perfect lunch or easy side dish!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 2 minutes
Servings 4 servings
For the salad:
- 1 package organic baby spinach
- 2 cups strawberries, cut in half
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup goat cheese, cubed
- ⅓ cup raw sliced almonds
- ¼ cup chopped shelled roasted pistachios
For the strawberry vinaigrette:
- 2-1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated or finely minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon strawberry jam (or jam of choice)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- In a mason jar or small bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients. Shake or mix well to combine. Taste and add additional salt/pepper, if necessary.
- Toast the almonds on the stovetop: add the almonds to a pan and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 2-5 minutes until almonds are slightly golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add spinach to a large bowl, layer on the strawberries, avocado slices, red onion, goat cheese, toasted almonds, and chopped pistachios. Feel free to add dressing now or set it out for individual servings. Top salad bowls with extra toasted almonds and drizzle each bowl with 1/4 of the dressing.