If you are looking for a quick, easy, gut-friendly meal, look no further than this vegetable stir fry recipe!
Stir fry is a great option when you’re in the mood for Asian food but don’t want to order takeout. This version combines onions, mushrooms, celery, and cabbage sauteed a la stir fry style. Add the lemon tahini dressing for exotic flavor and extra gut benefits. The result is a wonderful blend of Asian and Mediterranean flavors.
You can enjoy this vegetable stir fry as a main course or a side dish and customize it with your favorite veggies or protein. It’s a terrific way to use up any leftover vegetables in your fridge and satisfy your craving for Asian cuisine.
And did we mention it’s completely plant-based? A diet rich in plant-based foods promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut. That supports your immune health and keeps inflammation under control . It’s also the very best way to keep gut bacteria balanced and happy.
Why We Love These Ingredients
Cabbage is packed with gut-friendly fiber, which can help keep your digestive system healthy and regular. Fiber also feeds the beneficial bacteria in your gut.
Cabbage also contains glutamine, an amino acid that protects the cells of your intestines and protects your gut lining from damage.
Onions are rich in fiber, prebiotics, and probiotics. It’s also a source of quercetin, a flavonoid antioxidant that may lower your risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cell damage. In addition, quercetin fights gut inflammation and strengthens your intestinal barrier.
Mushrooms possess amazing benefits for all areas of your health. They boost immune function, improve bone density, and even alleviate stress. Certain mushrooms contain natural anti-inflammatory compounds that can reduce your risk of heart disease or cancer. [check out this blog for more about the remarkable benefits of mushrooms].
Tahini is a paste made from toasted, ground sesame seeds and it’s a popular ingredient in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking. It’s rich in protein, fiber, healthy fats, and antioxidants. It also contains lignans, compounds that have anti-aging and anti-cancer benefits.
Pro Tips To Get You Started
This recipe serves 4-6 people but it’s easy to cut in half if you’re making it for yourself or you and a friend.
You can make the Lemon Tahini dressing ahead of time. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze it to enjoy at a later date.
OK—let’s do this!
10-Minute Veggie Stir Fry with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1 cup Vidalia onion, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat a skillet for a minute or so until the pan is hot.
- Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes. When the onions start to stick to the pan and turn brownish, add 2 tablespoons of water, stir, and keep cooking.
- Add another 2 tablespoons of water when they start to stick and brown again.
- Cook the onions for about 6 or 7 minutes, adding water and stirring as needed.
- Add the mushrooms, celery, cabbage, sea salt and black pepper and stir.
- Cook for an additional 4 or 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the veggies are slightly al dente. Before serving, drizzle with a generous amount of Lemon Tahini Dressing. Enjoy!
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 TBSP lemon juice [from 1 average sized lemon]
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 dates pitted and simmered in water for 10 minutes
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup water
Place all of the ingredients in blender. Blend until creamy and smooth, about one full minute (make sure to drain the water from the dates before you add them to the blender).