Heading into late Fall means the holidays will be here in a flash. This also means we’ll start seeing all the seasonal holiday drinks appear. So how about we kick off the season with one of our fall favorites, Harvest Apple Ginger Spritz?
It’s apple cider mixed with your favorite vodka, orange-flavored liqueur [such as Triple Sec or Cointreau] and a squeeze of lemon combined with a sweet and savory syrup made of honey, ginger, and sage. When guests arrive, simply top each drink off with sparkling water to add a little fizz. Truly the ultimate fall cocktail that no one can turn down!
And because it’s a pitcher style drink, you don’t have to play bartender and mix up cocktail after cocktail in the kitchen while everyone else is in the party room having fun.
Why we love these ingredients
Honey is a natural antibacterial and antimicrobial, so it prevents germs and pathogens and supports your immune system. It’s also a much healthier sweetener than processed white sugar. According to research, honey increases adiponectin levels, a hormone that reduces inflammation and improves blood sugar regulation. It also contains antioxidants that can protect against metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes.
Sage contains over 160 different polyphenols, which are antioxidants that can improve brain health and lower cancer risk. Like honey, sage can also lower blood sugar and improve insulin sensitivity.
Ginger is well-known for its digestive relief benefits. It’s a centuries-old remedy for nausea, stomach upset, and motion sickness. It also increases serotonin and dopamine levels in your brain, which can boost your mood and ease anxiety.
Pro Tips To Get You Started
To make this spritz, make the syrup first. Then, add the syrup to the vodka, orange liquor, apple cider and lemon juice. Store the spritz in the fridge until ready to serve.
You can make the spritz ahead of time. In fact, it will taste even better! Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours or even overnight to let the citrus, ginger, and sage really blend for a more intense flavor.
And yes, this does taste great as a mocktail. Simply swap the vodka and Triple Sec with more apple juice or non-alcoholic apple cider, orange juice and sparkling water.
Ginger Apple Spritz
This refreshing pitcher style cocktail combines the sweetness of orange and apple spiced up with a ginger and sage simple syrup. It’s sure to add some extra punch to your Holiday parties.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 inch fresh ginger,
- 6 fresh sage leaves, plus more for serving
- 1 cup vodka
- ½ cup orange liqueur
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 12 ounces seltzer or sparkling water
- orange zest and apple slices, for serving
- In a small pot, bring 1/2 cup water, honey, and ginger to a boil over high heat. Boil 5 minutes, add the sage, then remove from the heat. Let cool. Remove the sage and ginger, if desired.
- In a large pitcher, combine the ginger - sage syrup mix, vodka, orange liqueur, apple cider, and lemon juice. Mix and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Right before serving, add the sparkling water to the pitcher and top with orange and apple slices. Cheers!