Easy and Healthy White Chicken Chili
We’re all familiar with the classic red chili simmering with beef, tomatoes, beans and the traditional chili seasonings. But have you ever heard of White Chili?
White Chili is made with chicken, corn and cannelloni beans in a delectable creamy sauce. It’s a great alternative to traditional beef chili and makes for a super satisfying dinner! If you’re lucky to have any left it will make great leftovers for another dinner or lunch the next day.
The creamy broth offsets the heat from the chilies. Corn adds a hint of sweetness and the seasonings add a ton of flavor. This White Chili recipe is easy, no fuss and takes about 45 minutes from prep to dinner on the table. Plus, it uses only one pot for quick and easy cleanup.
Why we love these ingredients
- Chicken breasts are low in calories, high in protein, low in fats and saturated fats but high in good cholesterol.
- White Beans. They are loaded with antioxidants and provide a good source of fiber and protein. You can use either cannellini or white kidney beans.
- Green Chiles. Loaded with Vitamin C and beta-carotene, green chilies are great for healthy eyes, skin and immune system. We’ve tailored the recipe to provide the flavor of chili peppers but without a lot of heat.
While this recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts it works well with any chicken part. Bone-in breasts, legs or chicken thighs add more flavor to the broth. You can also add in 2 -3 cups of cooked chicken. After all, you’re the chef!
If you like a thicker chili, combine a cup of beans with 4oz of broth and put in a blender or food processor. Add in the bean mixture with the whole beans.
When you’re ready to serve, just pile on the toppings like fresh cilantro, avocado slices, Mexican cheese and lime wedges. Serve with tortilla on the side for an extra crunch of flavor.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also put the chili in an airtight, freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Creamy White Chili Chicken from the Zenwise Kitchens
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. mustard powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper or chili flakes [more to taste]
1-1/2 lbs. chicken breasts or thighs
¼ cup butter
1 medium onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced [remove the seeds if you want the flavor without the heat]
3 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons flower
4 cups [48oz] low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 C half-and-half
2[15.5 oz] cans white beans, drained
1 tsp hot sauce
¾ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
8 oz green chiles
1 large [15.2 oz] can of whole kernel sweet corn, drained
8 oz cream cheese, softened [we suggest low-fat for fewer calories]
- Combine the seasonings in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a 4 1/2-quart pot. Add the diced onions and jalapeno pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and toss to coat. Cook for 2 minutes
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, then the half-and-half stirring continuously.
- Add beans, seasonings, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and green chilies. Bring to a boil. Let it boil for 15 minutes, uncovered, then reduce to a simmer.
- Season each side of the chicken with salt/pepper. Add the chicken and the corn to the pot and let it simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, uncovered. Stir occasionally.
- Once the chili has finished simmering, remove the chicken and shred.
- Return the chicken to the pot. Reduce heat to low and stir in the softened cream cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese is fully blended into the chili.
- Enjoy !
Some recipes to pull from: