Want a quick, on-the-run breakfast that tastes like fall? These Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies are just the ticket! They’re packed with fiber and jammed with gut-friendly ingredients that taste more like a rich dessert than a grab-and-go treat.
Whole oats, pumpkin, and dried cranberries blend with flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and nut butter to create a texture that holds together without feeling heavy and dense. Pumpkin puree teams with aromatic pumpkin pie spice. Ground flax seed increases nutritional value and we added in the eggs as a binder.
Not only are these breakfast cookies perfect for an easy breakfast or coffee break, but they also taste even better the next day! You can also freeze for up to 3 months and saver the deliciousness at a later date. Just reheat in toaster oven until warm and crisp.
Why we love these ingredients
- Flax seed is rich in protein and fiber. It’s also a great source of ALA, a type of omega-3 fatty acid that offers benefits for heart and blood vessel health. Other research shows ALA helps reduce inflammation and supports healthy cholesterol levels.
- Pumpkin is a rich source of antioxidants like beta-carotene and Vitamin C which supports immune function. It also contains Vitamin A, lutein, and zeaxanthin—nutrients that protect your vision as you age. Also low in calories, too.
- Oats are packed with fiber, protein, and nutrients that keep your digestion smooth and bowel movements regular. Research also shows oats can help reduce cholesterol and promote healthy blood sugar levels. And thanks to their low-fat and low calorie content, they’re great for weight loss, too.
- Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants called flavonoids which support heart and brain health. Studies also show it encourages a healthy gut microbiome and eases inflammation.
- Cranberries help support urinary and bladder health and are packed with high levels of antioxidants.
Quick tips to get you started
You can use a small ice cream scoop or ¼ cup measure to transfer the batter to the baking sheet. Flatten the cookies gently with damp hands before baking.
While we used dried cranberries and cherries, dates, raisins, or currants would work well too. You can even mix and match for an extra-fruity blast
Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner to keep the cookies from sticking.
Anything But Basic Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup rolled old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup dried cherries chopped
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon liner.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, warm coconut oil and honey until they are just warm and easy to combine.
- Place the oats, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, ground flax, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Then add pumpkin puree, eggs and warmed coconut oil and honey mixture. Stir until blended.
- Drop about 1/4 cup sized scoops of the mixture onto a cookie sheet and gently flatten (cookies won't spread while baking).
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet and store in an airtight container.
- Enjoy as a quick, benefit filled, on the go breakfast.