When we asked our partner, The Fairy Gutmother for a weekday dinner that was easy to pull together but still felt like a treat, she knew exactly what she wanted to send our way… her recipe for an oven roasted pork belly that’s served with a slaw that has the crunch and spice needed to stand up to the decadence of the pork belly.
While this isn’t a 30min meal, it is a simple way to prepare this legendary cut of meat that yields a slightly sweet, juicy, and insanely delicious main dish without standing over a flame for hours on end. We’d recommend bookmarking Carley’s Spicy Kraut Slaw because it is sure to show up on your table for many meals to come and is as easy as tossing all the ingredients in a bowl and dishing it out.
Some Technique Tips
- Work with your pork belly while it is still cold. That will make it easier to handle as you trim and cut the meat.
- The recipe includes a rub recipe that works well for everything from roasts to burgers. Make a big batch of the rub to save time during your next meal prep or BBQ.
- Make sure you read you labels when choosing a sauerkraut. Many are pasteurized, which kills the bacteria that make the fermented cabbage one of your gut microbiome’s favorites.
- Don’t make your slaw too far ahead of time to keep its texture. The longer it sits the soggier it will get, and the crunchy texture of the cabbage, apple, and radish is a beautiful contrast to the roast pork belly.
Oven Roasted Pork Belly with Spicy Kraut Slaw
- 4LB Skin On Pork Belly
- 6 cups bone broth
- 4TBS high-quality oil
- Rub: 1:1 ratio (We like to make a big batch to use on other roasts)
- Coconut sugar
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- 1/3C high oleic sunflower oil
- 1tsp coconut aminos
- 1/4c raw local honey
- 1/2tsp sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 4TBS green onion, chopped
- Spicy Kraut Slaw Ingredients:
- 1C sauerkraut
- 1C green cabbage, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 green apple, spiralized
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced or spiralized
- 3TBS cilantro, chopped
- 1TBS oregano
- 1/4tsp celery salt
- 1 lime, juice + zest
- 1/4tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- Combine your seasoning rub ingredients and set aside.
- Pat pork belly dry with a paper towel, being sure to dry thoroughly.
- Remove fat from skin with a small paring knife (Tip: It is easier to trim the fat when the pork is cooler) and cut belly into 2-inch cubes.
- Evenly and thoroughly coat cubes in seasoning.
- Heat oil in a large pan over the stove then sear each side of the belly for a few minutes on each side (Save this pan for sauteing later).
- Transfer belly to a baking rack.
- Add broth to bottom of dish to prevent burning and to lock in moisture.
- Cover with foil then place in oven for about 1.5-2 hours or until internal temperature is 200*F. Check the pork periodically to make sure you don’t need to add more broth.
- While your pork belly roasts, combine all of your spicy kraut slaw ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Remove from oven then add belly back to pan and add sauce then allow to simmer for a few minutes, turning the cubes so that they all are evenly coated in the sauce.
- Remove your pork belly from the saucepan and plate.
- Serve your pork belly with the spicy kraut slaw. Enjoy!
Carley is a Certified Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (NTP) and Certified Gut & Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Practitioner (CGP) as well as a 200-hour Registered Yoga Instructor (RYT). Her health and nutrition journey began when she was diagnosed with Lyme Disease. After struggling with the negative effects of the disease and long-term antibiotic use, she sought out more answers to reclaim her health. A firm believer in the words of Hippocrates that ‘All disease begins in the gut,’ Carley is on a mission to share her story and help others become proactive about their health.